Easy Shredded Chicken in the Slow Cooker
This is a basic slow cooker/crock pot recipe for shredded chicken. You can make this one time a week and use it throughout to add to salads and quick dinners!
Ingredients for 1 meal
Chicken breast, boneless, skinless
(if frozen, thaw for 1-2 hours first)
Chicken broth (stock), low sodium
- Add the ingredients to the slow cooker: Place the chicken and stock or water in the bowl of a 4-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cook the chicken: Cover the slow cooker with the lid. Cook until the chicken is tender and registers an internal temperature of 165°F, 4 to 5 hours on low, or 2 to 3 hours on high.
- Frozen chicken will take longer, about 5-6 hours, depending on size of chicken. Check at 4 hours.
- Shred the chicken: While the chicken is still warm, transfer it to a cutting board or large plate and use 2 forks to shred the meat.
Calories from fat
Calories from saturated fat
Ways to use slow cooker chicken throughout the week:
- Add to any kind of salad for extra protein!
- Make some quinoa or cauliflower rice. Stir in soy sauce, hot sauce or other seasonings. Add in chicken for a quick lunch!
- Season with taco seasonings and make lettuce wrapped tacos or taco salad!
- Great topper for baked sweet potatoes!
- Add to curry!
- Make pesto zucchini noodle pasta!
- The possibilities are endless!