|10 min||40 min||4|
|1 tbsp||Olive Oil, Extra Virgin (your favourite cooking oil)|
|1 large||Yellow onion (chopped)|
|5 clove(s)||Garlic (minced)|
|1 tbsp minced||Ginger root|
|1 dash||Cayenne pepper|
|426 gm||Whole tomato, canned (or 4 large tomatoes, chopped)|
|1 medium||Lemon (3 slices, the rest juiced)|
|1 cup||Red lentils, split (rinsed well, until water runs clear)|
|4 cup||Vegetable stock/broth|
1. Heat oil in a medium pot and sauté onions, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes, until soft. Add a pinch of salt.
2. Add cumin and cayenne pepper and stir for another minute or so, or until fragrant.
3. Add tomatoes, slices of lemon and rinsed lentils. Next add vegetable stock and stir well.
5. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft.
6. Squeeze in the rest of the lemon juice and stir
7. Serve hot with some cilantro, green onions or parsley on top with a slice of lemon. Delicious!