|2 h 10 min||45 min||2 h 55 min||5|
|3/4 cup||Sweet potato (mashed, packed)|
|2 cup||Coconut milk, reduced fat (shake cans well)|
|1 tbsp||Vanilla extract, pure|
|1/4 tsp||Sea salt, fine|
|1 1/2 cup||Dark chocolate chips, vegan|
1. Bake the sweet potato at 400 degrees with the skin still on until very soft, or microwave. Let it cool a few minutes.
2. Once your potato is cooked and cooled a bit, peel the skin off and completely mash it well with a fork. Pack it in the measuring cup (3/4 cup) really well and level off.
3. Add sweet potato, coconut milk, vanilla and salt to a blender.
4. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring in between, until about 90% melted. Then stir until completely melted and smooth. Be careful about overheating the chocolate or it will burn. Add the melted chocolate to the blender. Use a spatula to scrape all the chocolate into the blender.
5. Blend the ingredients on high for a minute or so until completely smooth. Taste to adjust seasoning. If you prefer sweeter, add some sweetener of choice.
6. If you have an ice cream maker, use it to the manufacturer's instruction to churn the ice cream. If you do not have an ice cream maker, add the blended ice cream base to an ice cream storage container and place in the freezer. After 30 minutes, remove from freezer and stir the ice cream around really well, as the edges will start to firm up first. Place back in back to the freezer and stir every 30 minutes until it is solid or at your desired consistency, about 2 hours, depending on your freezer temperature.
7. Allow ice cream to freeze overnight. Before eating, let it sit out at room temperature for about 15 minutes or so to soften. Again, this will depend on how cold you keep the freezer.
8. For extra chocolate topping, melt some extra chocolate chips and drizzle on top and it will freeze immediately.
Bake the sweet potato at 400 degrees, or microwave, with skin still on until very soft. Let it cool a few minutes, Cut in half and scoop out the flesh.