|10 min||0 min||12|
|14 date(s)||Dates (soaked in warm water)|
|1/4 cup||Almond butter|
|2 tbsp||Cacao powder, raw|
|2 tbsp||Coconut flakes, unsweetened|
|2 tbsp||Chia seeds, ground|
|2 tbsp||Honey, raw|
|1/4 cup||Dark chocolate chips (as desired)|
1. Remove the pits from 14 Medjool dates. Soak the dates in warm water for 10 minutes, then rinse and drain.
2. Add the soaked dates, almond butter, cocoa powder, almonds, coconut flakes, chia seeds, and honey to a food processor. Process until all the ingredients are blended and a thick dough forms. It should be processed enough that you can remove small portions of the dough and form them into small balls.
3. Remove the dough from the food processor and gently fold in the chocolate chips. Mix together until everything is combined.
4. Place dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour. This is to help it firm up to and make it easier to roll the energy balls.
5. Once the dough has solidified a bit, remove it from the fridge and remove about 1 tbsp of dough at a time to roll into balls. Do this until all the dough is rolled out. Place in an air-tight container and store in your fridge or freezer.
Other add-ins for this energy ball recipe: cacao nibs, flax seeds, maca powder etc.
For chocolate-free option use carob powder and carob chips. You can find these at bulk barn.
For vegan version use maple syrup instead of honey or omit the honey alltogether.
Nut-free option you can use soy butter (WowButter can be found in most peanut butter sections at major grocery chains).