|15 min||15 min||30 min||8|
|3/4 cup||Quinoa, uncooked|
|1 cup||Frozen yellow corn kernels (or fresh if in season)|
|1 cup chopped||Tomato|
|1 medium pepper(s)||Red bell pepper (chopped)|
|3 stalk(s)||Green onion, scallion, ramp (sliced)|
|1/2 cup||Cilantro (coriander) (finely chopped)|
|1 can (15oz)||Black beans, canned (or chickpeas)|
|1 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 whole lime(s)||Lime juice (fresh)|
|1 avocado(s)||Avocado (optional)|
|1/4 cup||Pumpkin seeds (pepitas) (lightly toasted, or raw)|
1. Rinse quinoa in a colander for 30 seconds and add it to a medium saucepan with 1 1/2 cups of water over medium-high heat (uncovered). Bring it to a boil and then reduce to a low-medium simmer. Cook for around 10 minutes until all of the water is absorbed and your quinoa is light and fluffy.
2. When the quinoa is almost done cooking add the frozen corn, cumin and salt. Remove the saucepan from heat once everything is cooked.
3. Transfer the cooked quinoa and corn to a serving bowl. Chop your tomatoes, peppers, green onions, and cilantro and add them to the bowl with the quinoa.
4. Add your black beans to the quinoa bowl and drizzle with the olive oil and lime juice. Stir to combine all of the ingredients.
5. Gently stir in the sliced avocado and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds just before serving. Store in an air-tight container in your fridge for up to a week.
Add goat or feta cheese for a vegetarian option and added flavour.
This recipe also works well with your favourite salad dressing or as a salad topper.
Quinoa contains all of the essential amino acids, making it a wonderful protein option for a plant-based or vegan diet.