|15 min||20 min||12|
|1 3/4 cup||Wheat flour, whole wheat|
|3/4 cup||Flaxseed meal (ground)|
|2 tsp||Baking soda|
|1/2 tsp||Baking powder|
|1 pinch||Sea salt|
|1 large egg||Egg|
|1/2 cup unpacked||Brown sugar|
|1/2 cup||Plain yogurt, 1- 2% M.F.|
|1/2 cup||Applesauce, unsweetened|
|1/2 tsp||Vanilla extract, pure|
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 12-tin muffin tray with non-stick spray or line with paper cups.
2. In a large bowl combine and stir the dry ingredients (flour, ground flax seed, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon).
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (egg, brown sugar, yogurt, apple sauce, and vanilla).
4. Core and chop the apples into small pieces.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir just until combined. Fold in the chopped apples just until they are evenly distributed. Try not to over stir the mixture or else the muffins may become tough or rubbery.
6. Evenly distribute the muffin batter between 12 muffin cups.
7. Bake in the oven until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (about 20-25 minutes).
8. Remove the muffins from the tin and let cool on a wire rack.