|5 min||25 min||6|
|1/2 avocado(s)||Avocado (for slaw)|
|1 cup grated||Carrots (for slaw)|
|1 cup shredded||Green cabbage (for slaw)|
|1 whole lemon(s)||Lemon juice (for slaw, or lime)|
|1 tbsp||Maple syrup (for slaw)|
|1 pinch||Salt and pepper (for slaw, to taste)|
|2 can (20oz)||Jackfruit, canned, in water|
|3/4 cup||Barbecue sauce (optional vegan)|
|1/4 cup||Barbecue seasoning, McCormick|
|6 bun(s)||Bun, gluten free (for serving)|
|1/2 cup||Cashew nuts, roasted (for serving)|
1. Rinse, drain and thoroughly dry jackfruit. Chop off the center “core” portion of the fruit and discard. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
2. Mix together BBQ seasoning and add to jackfruit. Toss to coat.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp oil of choice and seasoned jackfruit. Toss to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes to achieve some colour.
4. Add BBQ sauce and thin with enough water to make a sauce. Stir and reduce heat to low-medium and cook for about 20 minutes (up to 35 minutes on low for a deeper flavour).
5. Remove lid and stir occasionally. For a finer texture, use two forks to shred the jackfruit as it cooks down.
6. In the meantime, make slaw by adding all ingredients except vegetables to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Thin with water until a thick sauce is made, then add veggies and toss to coat. Set in the refrigerator until serving.
7. Once the jackfruit has been properly simmered, turn up the heat to medium-high and cook for 2-3 more minutes to get a little extra colour/texture. Then remove from heat.
8. Place generous portions of slaw on the bottom buns, top with a generous serving of BBQ jackfruit, and cashews. Serve with extra BBQ sauce.
9. Leftover jackfruit keeps for up to a couple of days in the fridge, though best when fresh.
contains antioxidants which help to boost the immune system.
Microminerals and copper in jackfruit may be helpful with thyroid metabolism!
is a good source of fibre and may help to improve digestion!