|10 min||25 min||9|
|2 beet(s)||Beets, raw (golden if desired)|
|1/4 cup||Cocoa powder, unsweetened|
|3/4 cup||Dark chocolate chips, vegan|
|3 tbsp||Flaxseed meal (ground)|
|1/2 tbsp||Instant coffee, regular, powder (optional)|
|6 date pitted||Medjool date|
|1 cup||Rolled oats, dry (gluten-free)|
|1/4 tsp||Sea Salt|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract, pure|
|1/4 cup||Walnuts (chopped)|
|2 cup||Water (plus 2 tbsp)|
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the flax and ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (90 ml) water. Allow to rest for about 15 minutes or until ready to use.
2. Trim off the stem and tail of the beets; peel, then dice. Discard the peels. Add the diced beets to a microwave-safe bowl along with the 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of water. Microwave on high for about 10 to 12 minutes, until fork-tender. Place a paper towel under the bowl, as sometimes the water can boil over. Alternatively, the beets can be steamed in a rice cooker or over the stove until tender.
3. While the beets steam, add the oats to a food processor and process until they become the texture of flour, about 1 minute. Next, add in the walnuts and dates; pulverize into a paste, about 2 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). When the beets are done steaming, drain off the water and add the beets to the food processor along with the remaining ingredients. Process for a good 3 to 5 minutes, until the entire mixture is very smooth. It should render into a thick paste.
5. Coat an 8-by-8-inch (20-by-20-cm) square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and spoon the batter into the dish. Using a spatula, even out the top of the batter. Bake for 25 minutes, until set. Cool completely on a wire cooling rack before slicing into 9 squares.
Serve and enjoy!
Enjoy with a cup of chai tea!
*The addition of instant coffee is optional, but it really helps bring out a deeper chocolate richness in baked goods.
I like to keep a small jar on hand just for baking!