|5 min||1 h||32|
|3 beet(s)||Beets, raw|
|1 can (19oz)||Chickpeas, canned, drained (drained and rinsed)|
|1 clove(s)||Garlic (minced)|
|3 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut the stems off the beets and wrap them in foil. Add them to your hot oven to roast for about an hour, or until tender.
3. Once fully cooked, let cool and peel and slice into chunks.
4. Add the beets, canned chickpeas, garlic, tahini, cumin and salt to a food processor and process until your mixture is thoroughly combined, adding the olive oil through the feed as it blends. Puree for about 2 minutes until it is a smooth texture without any chunks.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. If it’s too thick, add more olive oil or water. Store in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to a week.
If you don't have time to cook your beets you can buy pre-packaged, steamed beets in the produce section of your local grocery store.
Studies have shown that beets can significantly lower blood pressure by up to 4–10 mmHg over a period of only a few hours.