|30 min||2 min||8|
|1 medium pepper(s)||Red bell pepper (thinly sliced)|
|1 medium pepper(s)||Green bell pepper (thinly sliced)|
|1 tsp||Chili powder|
|1 package||Taco seasoning mix, McCormick (or Simply Organic taco seasoning)|
|1 cup||Brown rice, medium-grain, cooked|
|1/4 tsp||Sea salt|
|1 can (19oz)||Black beans, canned (drained and rinsed)|
|1/2 whole lime(s)||Lime juice (fresh)|
|2 cup shredded||Mexican cheese blend|
|8 large tortilla(s)||Wheat flour tortilla|
1. In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat and add peppers and onions. Cook until vegetables are soft, but not browned, about 7 minutes.
2. Add fajita seasoning mix, chili powder and 1/4 cup of water and stir well to combine. Allow the mixture to cook down slightly and thicken.
3. Stir in sea salt, brown rice, black beans and lime juice. Simmer for a few more minutes. Mixture will thicken slightly, then remove from heat.
4. Heat tortilla wraps in the microwave for 25 seconds so they are easier to wrap without breaking.
5. Lay a tortilla down on a cutting board or work surface. Down the middle of the tortilla, place about 1/4 cup of cheese and 1/2 -2/3 cup of the bean and vegetable mixture on top of the cheese.
6. Fold the sides of the burrito in towards the center and then fold the bottom over the filling forming a pocket.
7. At this point, just roll the rest of the way up.
8. Wrap each burrito separately in wax or parchment paper for storing in the freezer. Place 3-4 burritos in a large freezer bag and label.
9. To Reheat: Remove wax paper and place on a microwave safe plate. Microwave on high for about 2 minutes. How long will depend on how frozen the burrito still is when you put in the microwave. Check the center to be sure it is hot all the way through. Allow the burrito to cool slightly before eating.
To make dairy free - use vegan cheese in place of Mexican cheese mix
To make a lighter option - use Boston lettuce wraps instead of whole wheat wraps
are a great source of vitamin C!
are a great source of protein and high in fiber which helps to promote healthy digestion!