|10 min||20 min||4|
|1 can (15oz)||Lentils, canned (drained)|
|1 tbsp||Olive oil|
|1/2 cup||White onion (chopped)|
|4 clove(s)||Garlic (minced)|
|1/2 cup chopped||Carrots|
|1/2 cup diced||Celery|
|1/2 tsp||Paprika (dried)|
|1 tsp, ground||Thyme, dried|
|1 cup||Vegetable stock/broth, low sodium|
|1 leaf||Bay leaf|
1. Rinse and drain lentils. Set aside.
2. In medium-sized pot, heat oil over medium heat.
3. Saute onion, garlic, carrot, and celery until softened, 4-5 minutes. Stir in lentils, salt, paprika, and thyme.
4. Add vegetable stock and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.
5. Serve braised lentils with your choice of protein, rice, barley or whole wheat couscous and/or a side of vegetables.
Double or triple the batch and freeze leftovers. Ensure to fully warm through when re-heating to an internal temperature of 165F or 74C degrees.
A heart healthy legume high in plant-based protein, fiber, B vitamins and iron.