|10 min||30 min||4|
|1 package (1lb)||Tofu, regular, extra firm (drained, dried, cut into 1-inch cubes)|
|6 cup||Broccoli florets (cut into bite size pieces)|
|1 small pepper(s)||Red bell pepper (thinly sliced)|
|1 medium||Yellow onion (sliced)|
|1 medium||Carrots (julienned)|
|2 clove(s)||Garlic (minced)|
|1 tsp minced||Ginger root|
|1 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1/2 cup||Cashew nuts, raw|
|2 tbsp||Hoisin sauce, ready-to-serve|
|1/2 tsp||Hot pepper (chili) flakes|
|1 tbsp||Soy sauce|
|1 tbsp||Sesame seeds|
|1 dash||Salt and pepper (to taste)|
1. Start by pan-frying the tofu cubes in vegetable oil. On medium heat, allow the tofu to slightly crisp before turning. Turn each piece of tofu on each side to very lightly fry and brown. Once done, remove from pan and set aside on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
2. Next, sauté the onions, peppers, carrots, garlic, and ginger. Add some salt and pepper and sauté until the onions are just cooked. Do not overcook as these ingredients will be cooked more later. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add ¼ cup of water to a pan and bring to a slight boil. Add the broccoli florets and cook on medium high heat for three minutes. Season with salt. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. At this point, there should be a bowl of fried tofu, a bowl of peppers and onions, and a bowl of broccoli.
5. With your large sauté pan on medium heat, add a little olive oil, the soy sauce, and the hoisin sauce. Move the pan around to mix the three ingredients together.
6. Reintroduce the tofu to the pan. Carefully turning the tofu into the sauce, cook for three minutes. Add back the onions and peppers.
7. Continue to cook for another three minutes. At this point, add the chilli flakes and the sesame seeds. Stir to incorporate all ingredients.
8. Add the broccoli back into the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes until the broccoli has finished cooking. Careful to not overcook broccoli.
9. Toss in the cashews, and toss the whole mixture together.
10. Serve with some plain cooked brown rice, quinoa or just as it is!
is an excellent source of plant-based protein and a great source of iron and calcium