|30 min||0 min||15|
|1 can (15oz)||Black beans, canned (drained, rinsed)|
|1/2 cup||Maple syrup, pure (or honey)|
|1 tbsp||Vanilla extract, pure|
|2 tbsp||Peanut butter, natural (or another nut butter)|
|1/4 tsp||Baking soda|
|3 tbsp||Cocoa powder, unsweetened|
|1 cup||Rolled oats, dry (plus 2 tbsp)|
|1/4 cup||Dark chocolate chips (optional)|
|2 tbsp||Coconut oil (melted, for coating)|
|1/4 cup||Cocoa powder, unsweetened (for coating)|
|1/4 cup||Maple syrup, pure (for coating)|
1. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment or wax paper. Drain and rinse the beans very well.
2. Add the black beans, maple syrup, vanilla extract, peanut butter, baking soda, cocoa powder, rolled oats and sea salt to a food processor and process until very smooth.
3. Fold in the chocolate chips and mix until combined.
4. Take the batter and place it in the pan and smooth it out with a spatula or spoon. Place in the freezer to set for 2 hours - overnight.
5. Once frozen, melt the coconut oil in a microwave for 30 seconds, add the cocoa powder and maple syrup to the coconut oil and whisk together until everything is combined and there are no lumps left over. Place in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
6. Spread sauce over the bars, then re-freeze to set the chocolate for about 1 hour.
7. Cut into bars – To prevent the chocolate shell from cracking, cut either before chocolate freezes fully or after thawing a little. Store leftovers in the freezer, and thaw before eating.