|15 min||30 min||12|
|6 medium||Apple (fuji apples - cored and cut into 1/4 g slices)|
|1 whole orange(s)||Orange peel (zest)|
|1 whole orange(s)||Orange juice|
|3 tbsp||Maple syrup, pure|
|3 tbsp||Rice flour, brown (can use quinoa flour)|
|1 1/2 cup||Cranberries, frozen (can use fresh)|
|1/4 cup||Extra virgin olive oil (topping)|
|1/4 cup||Maple syrup, pure (topping)|
|1/2 cup||Water (topping)|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract, pure (topping)|
|1/4 cup||Rice flour, brown (topping - can use quinoa flour)|
|1 dash||Cinnamon (topping)|
|3 cup||Quick oats (topping)|
|1/2 cup||Walnuts (topping - halves, chopped)|
|1/2 tsp||Sea Salt (topping)|
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Prep the apples!
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the orange zest, orange juice, maple syrup and rice flour. Add apples and cranberries and mix well.
3. Pour the mixture into a 9” x 13” glass baking dish, lightly greased with olive oil, and spread out evenly.
4. To prepare the topping - In another large mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, maple syrup, water and vanilla.
5. Add remaining dry ingredients: brown rice flour, cinnamon, oats, walnuts and sea salt and mix well.
6. Gently pour the topping evenly over the apples and cranberries.
7. Bake for approximately 35 minutes. Other signs the crisp is ready: liquid bubbling out the top, tenderness of apples (insert a fork to test) and a golden brown topping.
8. Let crisp cool for about 10 minutes and serve.
Be sure to purchase certified gluten-free oats if you want to ensure the recipe is completely free of gluten.
For a nut-free option, omit the walnuts.