|10 min||40 min||6|
|1 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 small||White onion (finely chopped)|
|1 medium stalk(s)||Celery|
|1 medium||Apple (tart apple - peeled and finely chopped)|
|454 gm||Ground turkey, extra lean|
|1 large egg||Egg (beaten)|
|1/2 cup||Quick oats, gluten free, dry|
|1/3 cup, crumbled||Feta cheese|
|1 clove(s)||Garlic (crushed)|
|1/2 tsp||Thyme, fresh|
|1/4 tsp||Sea salt|
|1/4 tsp||Black pepper (freshly ground)|
|227 gm||Cranberries (sauce)|
|6 tbsp||Orange juice (sauce)|
|1/4 cup||Water, filtered (sauce)|
|1/4 cup||Honey, raw (sauce)|
|1/2 whole orange(s)||Orange peel (zest) (sauce)|
|1/2 tsp||Cinnamon (sauce)|
|1 pinch||Sea salt (sauce)|
|1/4 tsp minced||Ginger root (sauce)|
1. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and celery and sauté until onions are translucent about 5-6 minutes.
2. Add the apple and sauté for another minute then remove from the heat to let cool slightly.
3. Mix cooked vegetables, ground turkey, egg, oats, feta, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. The mixture will be quite wet. Form into patties.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, cook burgers over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes a side, or until no longer pink in the centre and cooked through and internal temperature reaches 165F or 74C degrees.
Alternatively you can bake them in the oven at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165F or 74C degrees.
5. For the Orange Ginger Cranberry Sauce: In a medium saucepan, bring cranberries, orange juice, water, honey, orange zest, cinnamon, sea salt, and fresh ginger (if using) to a boil over high heat.
6. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cranberries have burst and sauce is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Serve your burger patties with buns of choice or use lettuce for a low carb option. Best served with a side salad or baked sweet potato fries.
You can prep the burgers ahead of time and freeze for quick dinners. Ensure to fully warm through the chili when re-heating to an internal temperature of 165F or 74C degrees.
High in protein, vitamins and minerals as well as the amino acid tryptophan that's needed to make serotonin important for mood and energy support.