|5 min||25 min||2|
|1 cup||Cereal, hot, corn grits (yellow), dry (or cornmeal, organic)|
|1/2 cup||Flax milk, unsweetened (or any unsweetened non-dairy)|
|1/4 cup||Nutritional yeast|
|1 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1/4 tsp||Turmeric, ground (ground)|
|1 dash||Salt and pepper (to taste)|
|227 gm||White mushrooms (thinly sliced)|
|2 tomato||Roma tomatoes (finely chopped (about 1 cup))|
|3 tbsp||Balsamic vinegar|
|1/2 tsp||Garlic powder|
|1/2 tsp||Onion powder|
|2 cup||White beans, canned (drained and rinsed)|
|2 cup||Baby spinach (chopped)|
|4 tbsp||Pumpkin seeds (pepitas) (for garnish)|
1. In a medium saucepan, add corn grits and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Alternatively, cook according to package directions.
2. To the grits, add non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, olive oil, and turmeric. Stir; season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Warm a greased medium skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add mushrooms and tomatoes. Cook for 8-10 minutes, until mushrooms are tender and slightly browned. Add vinegar, garlic powder, and onion powder. Cook for 3-5 more minutes, until vinegar has thickened.
4. Add white beans and spinach; cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring, until spinach is wilted.
5. Serve bean and mushroom mixture over polenta. Garnish with pumpkin seeds.
Naturally gluten-free, polenta is rich in complex carbohydrates and vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, magnesium, and zinc.