|30 min||6 h||6 h 30 min||45|
|908 gm||Ground turkey, lean|
|2/3 cup||Quinoa, cooked|
|3 clove(s)||Garlic (minced)|
|1 large egg||Egg (lightly beaten)|
|2 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 tbsp||Romano cheese (grated)|
|2 tsp, ground||Basil, dried|
|1 tsp||Oregano, dried|
|1/2 tsp||Black pepper|
|1/2 tsp||Onion powder|
|1 onion(s)||Sweet onion (sliced into thin rounds)|
|1 can(28oz)||Crushed tomatoes canned (for bottom)|
|1/2 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil (for skillet)|
|1 can(28oz)||Crushed tomatoes canned (for top)|
1. In a large bowl, combine turkey, quinoa, garlic, beaten egg, olive oil, cheese, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly but quickly, just so the ingredients are combined - avoid overmixing. Roll into mini balls - slightly smaller than a golfball, and place on a baking sheet.
2. Layer sliced onion on the bottom of the crockpot and add crushed tomatoes.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add meatballs, searing on the top and bottom until golden, about 1 minute per side. To flip meatballs, gently toss with a spoon.
4. Add meatballs one at a time to the crockpot. Repeat with remaining meatballs - it is okay to stack them once they are all finished.
5. Once all the meatballs are in the crockpot, add crushed tomatoes can, completely submerging the meatballs. Cook on low for 6 hours. Serve warm!
You can prep the balls ahead of time and freeze for quick protein options. Ensure to fully warm through when re-heating to an internal temperature of 165F or 74C degrees.
High in protein, vitamins and minerals as well as the amino acid tryptophan that's needed to make serotonin important for mood and energy support.