|15 min||10 min||25 min||6|
|1 tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 tsp||Garlic (minced)|
|1/2 pepper(s)||Green chili pepper (also chile or chilli) (chopped)|
|1 tsp||Taco seasoning mix, McCormick|
|680 gm||Ground turkey, lean (lean, see notes for vegan)|
|1/2 cup||Green onion, scallion, ramp (chopped)|
|1 cup||Cilantro (coriander) (chopped)|
|2 large head||Iceberg lettuce (chopped or shredded)|
|4 tsp||Lime juice (fresh)|
|2 cup||Salsa, ready-to-serve|
|1 cup cubes||Avocado|
1. In a heavy non-stick frying pan, heat olive oil on medium. Add minced garlic and diced green chiles. Saute about 1 minute. Add cumin and taco seasoning and cook, until fragrant about 1 minute.
2. Add ground turkey and salt and cook over medium-high heat, breaking apart with back of the turner as it cooks. Cook about 5 minutes, or until turkey is staring to brown.
3. While turkey cooks, thinly chop green onions and set aside. Then wash cilantro, spin dry or dry with paper towels and finely chop. Cut off root end of lettuce, discard tough outer leaves, and wash lettuce. Spin dry.
4. When Turkey is lightly browned, add sliced green onions and cook about 2 minutes. Turn off heat, then stir in 1 cup chopped cilantro and 2 Tbsp lime juice.
5. Use the inner, more folded part of the lettuce leaves to make the taco lettuce wrap. Spoon 2 to 3 large spoonfuls of turkey mixture into each piece of lettuce. Top meat mixture with salsa and avocado cubes. Enjoy!
For vegan version
You can use the same amount of crumbled hard tofu, jackfruit, textured vegetable protein, or lentils as a substitution to make this recipe vegan.
No ground turkey?
You can use ground chicken or beef.