|15 min||35 min||4|
|1 cup||Basmati rice, dry|
|1 tbsp||Coconut oil (or oil of choice)|
|2 clove(s)||Garlic (minced)|
|1 tbsp minced||Ginger root (peeled, grated)|
|1 tsp, minced||Turmeric root (peeled)|
|2 cup||Water (boiling)|
|1 tbsp||Lemon juice|
|1/2 cup||Cranberries, dried|
|1/4 cup||Cilantro (coriander) (chopped, for serving)|
|1/4 cup||Pine nuts, dried (for serving)|
1. Pour the dry rice into a bowl and cover with cool water. Soak for 15 minutes, then drain.
2. While rice is soaking, put on a kettle of water and bring to a full boil.
3. Add the coconut oil, garlic, and ginger to a medium-sized pot and heat to medium. Sauté until very fragrant, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the rice, turmeric and salt, and sauté an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add 2 cups of boiling water, reduce heat and simmer, covered until water is absorbed, about 30 to 35 minutes.
6. A few minutes before rice is finished cooking, stir the fresh lemon juice and dried cranberries into the rice. Re-place the cover and continue to cook.
7. Serve with fresh cilantro and pine nuts alongside your favourite main dish.
Both Ginger and Turmeric are spices that help to decrease inflammation in the body!