|10 min||1 h 55 min||2 h 5 min||6|
|1 cup||Green lentils, raw|
|1 cup||Walnuts (finely chopped, toasted)|
|3 tbsp||Flaxseed meal (ground)|
|1 1/4 cup chopped||Sweet onion|
|1 cup diced||Celery|
|1 cup grated||Carrots|
|1/3 cup chopped||Apple (peeled, finely chopped, or grated)|
|1/3 cup||Raisins, seedless (sultana)|
|1/2 cup||Oat flour|
|3/4 cup||Bread crumbs, plain|
|2 tsp||Thyme, fresh (or 3/4 tsp dried)|
|1/2 tsp||Salt and pepper (to taste)|
|1/4 tsp||Red pepper flakes (to taste)|
|1 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil (for cooking)|
|1/4 cup||Tomato ketchup (for the glaze)|
|1 tbsp||Maple syrup (for the glaze)|
|2 tbsp||Applesauce, unsweetened (or apple butter, for the glaze)|
|2 tbsp||Balsamic vinegar (for the glaze)|
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Rinse and strain lentils. Place lentils into pot along with 3 cups of water (or veg broth). Bring to a boil and season with salt. Reduce heat to medium/low and simmer, uncovered, for at least 40-45 minutes. Stir frequently and add a touch of water if needed. The goal is to over-cook the lentils slightly. Mash lentils slightly with a spoon when ready.
3. Toast walnuts at 325F for about 8-10 minutes. Set aside. Increase oven temp to 350F.
4, Whisk ground flax with water in a small bowl and set aside.
5. Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the garlic and onion for about 5 minutes. Season with salt. Then add in the diced celery, shredded carrot and apple, and raisins. Sauté for about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
6. In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients together. Adjust seasonings to taste.
7. Grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper. Press mixture firmly into pan. Whisk glaze ingredients and then spread half on top of loaf. Reserve the rest for a dipping sauce.
8. Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes, uncovered. Edges will be light brown. Cool in pan for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow loaf to cool before slicing.
are a great plant-based protein, they are high in fiber, some B vitamins and iron