|20 min||30 min||4|
|2 potato||Yukon Gold potato (shredded)|
|2 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil (for potatoes, to saute)|
|1 pinch||Sea salt (for potatoes, to taste)|
|2 cup||Basil, fresh (for pesto)|
|1/3 cup||Parsley, fresh (for pesto)|
|1/3 cup||Cilantro (coriander) (for pesto)|
|1/3 cup||Hemp oil (for pesto, sub EVOO if needed)|
|2 tbsp||Lemon juice (for pesto)|
|1/4 cup hulled||Sunflower seeds (for pesto)|
|1/2 tsp||Sea salt (for pesto)|
|1 tsp||Black pepper (for pesto)|
|6 cup||Baby spinach (for bowl, use greens of choice - 2 cups per serving)|
|4 tbsp hulled||Hemp seeds, shelled (for bowl - 1 tbsp. per serving)|
|2 cup||Coconut flakes, unsweetened (coconut bacon, not shredded)|
|2 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil (coconut bacon)|
|2 tbsp||Tamari, gluten free, reduced sodium (coconut bacon)|
|1 1/2 tbsp||Sriracha (coconut bacon)|
|2 tsp||Maple syrup, pure (coconut bacon)|
|1 tsp||Paprika, smoked (coconut bacon)|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. For Coconut Bacon: In a bowl, combine coconut flakes, olive oil, tamari, sriracha, maple syrup, and smoked paprika, and stir well. For a richer flavor, let coconut flakes marinate for a few minutes.
3. Place coconut flakes on a tray lined with parchment paper. Try to evenly space out the coconut flakes as best you can - aim for the least amount of overlap possible.
4. Once oven is at 350, bake coconut bacon for 5 minutes.
5. After five minutes, take coconut bacon out and stir well. Once coconut bacon is evenly spaced again, put the tray back in the oven.
6. After the previous step has completed, keep baking coconut bacon FOR TWO MINUTE INTERVALS, STIRRING AT EVERY INTERVAL. This step is crucial! It prevents the coconut bacon from cooking unevenly.
7. In total, your coconut bacon should bake from anywhere between 10-15 minutes (including the first five minute bake). However, this time may vary based on your oven. Be sure to always take the coconut bacon out and stir EVERY TWO MINUTES. And be careful - it can burn easily!
8. For the Bowl: Prep your potatoes by washing and drying. Using a cheese grater, shred the potatoes.
9. Bring a frying pan to medium heat with a little olive oil. Add potatoes and sauté until golden brown. When done, sprinkle with salt to taste.
10. Make the pesto by combining all ingredients in a food processor, and processing until smooth.
11. Build the breakfast bowls with a layer of greens, topped with the potatoes, coconut bacon, and pesto. Top with hemp or sesame seeds for extra crunch, if desired.