|15 min||15 min||30 min||6|
|6 medium mushroom(s)||Portobello mushroom (caps)|
|1/4 cup||Balsamic vinegar|
|3 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 tsp, ground||Thyme, dried|
|2 tsp||Oregano, dried|
|3 clove(s)||Garlic (minced)|
|1 pinch||Salt and pepper|
|3 avocado(s)||Avocado (for avocado-basil mayonnaise)|
|1 clove(s)||Garlic (for avocado-basil mayonnaise)|
|1/2 whole lemon(s)||Lemon juice (for avocado-basil mayonnaise)|
|1/4 cup||Basil, fresh (packed, for avocado-basil mayonnaise)|
|1 pinch||Sea salt (for avocado-basil mayonnaise)|
1. Wash mushroom caps well, carefully removing any dirt. Pat dry.
2. Throw all marinade ingredients together in a large plastic bag, mash around making sure it is well combined. Place mushrooms in the bag, seal it up, roll contents around to coat, and let sit in the fridge for up to 12 hours (minimum 1 hour). If you think of it, take the bag out from time to time and roll it around – this ensures that the mushrooms are well coated with marinade.
3. Prepare the grill by heating it up to medium-high. Place mushrooms on lightly oiled grill, gill side up, close grill lid and cook for 5-7 minutes or so, until grill marks appear on the underside. Flip, and repeat gill side down. The mushrooms are cooked when they are warm through and have lost a little of their “plumpness”.
4. Serve immediately with your favourite toppings, or slide one into a wholegrain bun or wrap with some fresh veggies. Alternatively, you can slice them up and maybe add them to a salad – spinach with pine nuts and parmesan.
5. To make the avocado-basil mayonnaise: Place garlic clove in food processor and blend on high to mince. Add everything else, pulse until smooth and basil is well chopped.
Serve and enjoy!
are a great source of antioxidants which are so important for a healthy immune system!
are a rich source of monounsaturated fatty acids which are so important for heart health!