|10 min||1 h 5 min||10|
|2 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 medium stalk(s)||Celery (diced)|
|4 large||Carrots (sliced)|
|1 large||Yellow onion (chopped)|
|1 tbsp||Oregano, dried|
|2 tsp, ground||Basil, dried (or Italian seasoning)|
|2 cup||Lentils, raw|
|1 can(24oz)||Crushed tomatoes canned|
|1 can(s) (13oz)||Diced tomatoes, canned (undrained)|
|908 gm||Vegetable stock/broth, low sodium (or chicken broth)|
|2 cup||Spinach (to taste)|
|1 1/2 tbsp||Lemon juice|
|1 pinch||Salt and pepper (to taste)|
1. Heat oil in large soup pot over medium heat. Add celery, carrots and onions and cook until onions are tender.
2. Stir in garlic, oregano and basil and cook 2 more minutes.
3. Pour in lentils, crushed and diced tomatoes, broth and water. Stir and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 1 hour.
5. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
6. Stir in spinach and lemon juice and let spinach leaves wilt before serving.
are an important source of plant-based protein and are high in fiber which promotes healthy bowel regularity