|20 min||20 min||4|
|1 package (1lb)||Tofu, regular, extra firm (rinsed and drained)|
|1 tsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 cup chopped||Sweet onion (about 1 medium)|
|1 cup||Potato (diced, about 1/2 potato)|
|1 1/2 cup||Cremini (Italian) mushroom (sliced)|
|1/4 cup||Nutritional yeast|
|4 tbsp||Basil, fresh (minced)|
|2 tbsp||Parsley, fresh (minced)|
|1 1/2 tbsp||Lemon juice|
|1/4 tsp||Black pepper (to taste)|
|1/4 tsp||Kosher salt (to taste)|
|4 medium tortilla(s)||Whole wheat tortilla|
1. Take your tofu out of the package and rinse it with water. Then press the tofu to try and drain the water out by placing it on a couple of kitchen towels on the counter. Wrap the tofu with another towel, place another towel on top, and finally place several heavy cookbooks on top. Let sit for at least 20 minutes to soak out the water. Alternatively, you can use a tofu press if you have one.
2. Prep your ingredients according to the ingredient instructions.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat and once warmed up, add 1 tsp of olive oil to the skillet to warm up for about 10 seconds.
4. Add the garlic and onion to the oiled skillet and sautee for a few minutes over medium heat, until translucent and fragrant (about 3 minutes). Then, add in the diced potato and mushrooms and sauté for 12 minutes, reducing heat if necessary and stirring frequently so it does not stick to the bottom.
5. Remove tofu from towels and dice on chopping board. You want the tofu very small. Now, reduce your skillet heat to low and stir in the nutritional yeast, tofu, basil, parsley, lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Continue cooking on low until potato is cooked through, only a few more minutes, if necessary.
6. Prepare the burrito by adding 3/4 cup of the mixture to a large tortilla wrap and wrap up by folding in the ends and then rolling up into a burrito. Spoon on salsa, and top with Daiya cheese and chopped green onion if desired.
Use tortilla wraps according to dietary preference: whole wheat, white, gluten-free, sprouted whole grain, keto, Paleo, coconut wraps or use lettuce wraps with Boston Bibb lettuce leaves.
Additional burrito add-ins: brown rice, black beans, guacamole, vegan sour cream.
Non-vegan? Use 4-6 eggs instead of tofu.
Tofu is a great source of plant-based protein, which helps you feel full and increases satiety. That, along with the fiber from the vegetables makes this meal a filling and nutritious option.