Most store bought relishes use vinegar for pickling but this recipe uses lacto-fermentation to create the acidic taste and probiotic value of that food.
1) In a bowl, mix the chopped organic cucumbers, fresh dill and sea salt.
2) In a quart sized glass jar equipped with a lid, pack the cucumber mixture tightly with a wooden spoon or your fist, making sure to extract the most water out of the mixture. You want the water to cover the mixture for the fermentation process to happen and to prevent mold from forming.
3) Add some filtered water if needed.
4) Make sure that there is at least 1 inch of room between the liquid and the top of the jar as the mixture will expand during the fermentation time.
5) Cover the glass jar tightly with the lid and leave in a warm place for 2 to 5 days. You can taste the relish during the fermentation process to know if it’s ready or not.
6) When ready, keep in the refrigerator and enjoy.