|5 min||30 min||4|
|1 cup||Brown lentils, raw (mung or masoor)|
|1/2 small||White onion|
|1 clove(s)||Garlic (or 1 tsp pre-chopped)|
|1 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 small||Carrots (or 1 small sweet potato)|
|1 tsp||Coriander, ground|
|1 medium||Lemon (1-2 lemons)|
|2 sprig||Cilantro (coriander) (chopped - optional)|
1. Dice the onion and carrots (or cut into small chunks if it’s a sweet potato) & sauté in olive oil until soft.
2. Mince the garlic & add with Cumin and Coriander, sauté for 1 – 2 min.
3. Add dry lentils and mix thoroughly.
4. Add enough water to cover the lentils by two inches & bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to low & simmer until soft (usually about 30 min for split lentils).
6. Squeeze fresh lemon into individual portions.
Options to serve with:
100% corn tortillas
whole wheat chapattis
whole grain pita
Nishta Saxena is a Registered Dietitian, Paediatric and Family Nutritionist, founder of Vibrant Nutrition, and proud Mama of two. In her practice she helps families through all stages of nutrition. She is also a food and nutrition expert with Global National News, and makes regular contributions to CTV Your Morning, the Globe and Mail, and CBC.ca. Nishta believes that nutrition can transform lives, and it is her goal to change lives through her work.