|5 min||25 min||8|
|1 can (19oz)||Black beans, canned (drained, rinsed)|
|2 leaf||Bay leaf|
|1/4 cup||Cilantro (coriander) (chopped, topping)|
|2 tbsp||Chili powder|
|2 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|4 clove(s)||Garlic (minced)|
|1/2 cup||Lentils, canned|
|1 can (19oz)||Navy beans, white, canned (drained, rinsed)|
|1/4 cup||Salsa, ready-to-serve (topping, optional)|
|1/4 tsp||Salt and pepper (to taste)|
|1 cup||Vegetable stock/broth, low sodium|
|2 can (15oz)||Whole tomato, canned|
|1 medium||Yellow onion (chopped)|
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, warm up the oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onions and garlic and allow to soften, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the spices, give everything a stir and allow them to cook for a minute or two.
4. Add the lentils, bay leaves and water.
5. Bring the water to a gentle boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Add the beans, tomatoes and broth.
7. Bring it back to a boil and let it bubble gently away for 20 minutes.
8. Give it a taste and check it for seasoning - you might want to add a little salt and pepper.
9. Serve the chili over rice or cornbread and what ever toppings your family likes.
Beans and Lentils
are excellent sources of plant-based protein and are high in fiber which helps to promote healthy digestion!