|30 min||35 min||1 h 5 min||6|
|1 cup||Green lentils, raw|
|1 cup, dry||Wheat berries|
|1 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1/2 medium||Red onion (chopped)|
|4 clove(s)||Garlic (minced)|
|1 medium pepper(s)||Red bell pepper (seeded, chopped)|
|1 cup||Grape tomatoes (halved, chopped)|
|3 cup||Baby spinach (packed, roughly chopped)|
|1/2 cup||Parsley, fresh (minced)|
|1 pinch||Salt and pepper|
|1/4 cup||Green onion, scallion, ramp (for garnish, optional)|
|1 clove(s)||Garlic (for dressing)|
|1/2 cup||Lemon juice (for dressing)|
|1/4 cup||Tahini (for dressing)|
|4 tbsp||Nutritional yeast (for dressing)|
|4 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil (for dressing)|
|1/2 tsp||Sea salt (for dressing)|
1. Soak the wheat berries in a bowl of water overnight, or for at least 8 to 12 hours. Drain and rinse well.
2. Add the drained wheat berries into a medium pot and cover with a couple inches of water. Bring to a low boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes until tender, but still chewy. Drain excess water.
3. Rinse and drain the lentils. Add to a medium pot and cover with a couple inches of water. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil and then immediately reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes until tender, but still a bit chewy. Drain well.
4. Prepare the Lemon-Tahini Dressing: Mince the garlic in a mini food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth. Set aside.
5. In a large skillet or pot, add the oil, onion, and garlic, along with a pinch of salt. Stir. Sauté over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until the onion softens.
6. Stir in the chopped red pepper and tomato and sauté for another 7 to 8 minutes.
7. Add the spinach and stir to combine. Sauté until just wilted. Remove the pot from the heat.
8. Stir in all of the Lemon-Tahini Dressing, and the fresh parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve with chopped green onion and lemon zest on top, if desired. This salad is great served on top of a leafy green salad, or you can serve it with hummus and crackers on the side too.
are an important source of plant-based protein for vegetarians and vegans,
protein is important to rebuild muscle and maintain cellular structure