|20 min||1 h 30 min||6|
|1 bunch||Basil, fresh (stems removed, roughly chopped)|
|2 eggplant peeled||Eggplant (steamed, roughly chopped)|
|4 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|3 clove(s)||Garlic (peeled, sliced)|
|1 tbsp||Red pepper flakes|
|4 large||Tomato (or canned)|
|8 piece||Lasagna noodle, dry|
|1 1/4 cup shredded||Cheddar cheese, reduced fat (18%)|
|1/2 cup||Parmesan cheese, grated|
1. Steam, peel, and chop eggplants into roughly one-inch pieces (approximately 30 minutes). These can be frozen at this stage; thaw before continuing.
2. Sauté garlic, eggplant pieces, and pepper flakes in olive oil.
3. Crush tomatoes slightly before adding them and the basil to your pot and cook until sauce is thickened slightly, about 30 minutes.
(You can freeze the sauce at this stage to use later; thaw before continuing)
4. Spread a layer of sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish, followed by a layer of cheddar and a handful of parmesan.
5. Top with a layer of noodles (break noodles if they do not fit easily in your dish). Repeat this process, followed by a final layer of sauce topped with cheese.
6. Bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes or until top layer is bubbly and golden.
7. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
8. You can portion into containers at this stage and freeze individual servings to reheat later.