|30 min||30 min||12|
|3 cup||Wheat flour, whole wheat (for the dough)|
|1 cup||Water, filtered (room temperature,for the dough)|
|2 1/2 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil (for the dough)|
|1 1/2 tbsp||Vinegar, white (or raki, for the dough)|
|3/4 tsp||Kosher salt (for the dough)|
|2 cup||Fennel fronds (chopped fine, for filling)|
|1 cup||Spinach (chopped fine, or dandelions, vleeta, mustard greens – any wild greens, for filling)|
|1/2 cup||White onion (finely minced, for filling)|
|1/2 cup||Mint, fresh (chopped, for filling)|
|1/2 cup||Parsley, fresh (chopped, for filling)|
|1/4 cup||Extra virgin olive oil (for filling)|
|3/4 cup||Grape seed oil (for frying (1 tbsp per pancake))|
1. Cut the stalks from the fennel bulb, then snip off the fennel fronds/leaves from their stems and chop them very finely. Add these to a medium size bowl and then add whatever additional greens and fresh herbs, all finely chopped.
2. Sauté the onions over low heat in 1/4 cup olive oil until soft and almost translucent. Add the fennel fronds/leaves, greens, herbs and salt to the pan. Stir well to combine all ingredients and warm filling over low heat for just 5 minutes to release the oils and aromas of the fennel and herbs and wilt the greens, not cook them. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix flour and salt =well to combine and add remaining dough ingredients, stirring until ball forms. Knead for about 4-5 minutes until ball becomes smooth.
4. Pinch off 1/3 cup of dough from the whole piece. Roll each 1/3 cup of dough into a ball on a floured surface. Flour your rolling pin and roll out each ball into a thin circle.
5. Add approx 1 rounded tablespoon of fennel filling to the center of each circle. Gently pinch up the sides of your circle so that you end up with a little bundle.
6. Gently punch down the sides of each bundle into the center so that you have a fat pancake of filled dough. Then, again with a floured rolling pin, carefully roll out the fat pancake of filled dough into a very flat circle once again.
7. Roll out all of your filled bundles and collect on a baking sheet. Now they’re ready to either freeze (with sheets of parchment paper between pancakes) or fry immediately.
8. Fry on medium high heat on both sides with 1 tbsp grape seed oil per pancake.
9. Garnish with chopped fennel fronds/leaves and chopped thin fennel stalks. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.