|10 min||20 min||6|
|1 cup||Green lentils, raw (rinsed, for lentils)|
|2 cup||Water (for lentils)|
|1 dash||Salt and pepper (for lentils)|
|1 tsp||Maple syrup, pure (for lentils)|
|1 tsp||Lemon juice (for lentils)|
|2 tsp||Extra virgin olive oil (for lentils)|
|1 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil (for shallot and garlic)|
|2 medium shallot(s)||Shallots (thinly sliced, for shallot and garlic)|
|2 clove(s)||Garlic (minced, for shallot and garlic)|
|1/3 cup||Hummus (for sauce)|
|3 tbsp||Tahini (for sauce)|
|3 tbsp||Dill, fresh (for sauce)|
|1/2 tsp||Maple syrup, pure (for sauce)|
|2 tbsp||Lemon juice (for sauce)|
|2 tbsp||Water (as needed, for sauce)|
|1/4 cup||Parsley, fresh (for serving)|
|4 olive(s)||Kalamata olives (chopped, for garnish)|
1. Add lentils and water to a saucepan and bring to a rolling boil over medium high heat. Then reduce heat to medium/medium-low, or until a mild simmer is achieved.
2. Cook for 20-30 minutes, or until most liquid is absorbed and the lentils are tender and not mushy, or ‘al dente.’ (Mine only took about 18 minutes.)
3. Strain to remove any remaining water, then return lentils to saucepan off heat. Season with salt and pepper, maple syrup, lemon juice, and olive oil. Stir to coat. Sample and adjust seasonings as needed. You want them to be flavourful on their own, and not bland.
4. While lentils are cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil and shallots and stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly softened. Then add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more, or until just lightly golden brown. Remove from heat but leave in skillet.
5. To prepare sauce:
6. Add cooked, seasoned lentils to the skillet with the garlic and shallot. Add sauce and stir to combine.
7. Serve immediately, garnished with fresh parsley or dill, pita chips or crackers, or vegetables (optional).
8. Best when fresh, though leftovers keep stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
While this makes a great appetiser or snack dip, it would also be delicious over a baked sweet potato or salad for more of a meal.