|15 min||50 min||6|
|6 cup||Vegetable stock/broth (organic)|
|1 1/2 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 medium leek(s)||Leek (*see below on prep instructions)|
|1 clove(s)||Garlic (minced)|
|8 mushroom(s)||Cremini (Italian) mushroom (sliced)|
|1 cup||Pearl barley, dry|
|2 tbsp||Apple cider vinegar|
|1 tbsp||Salt and pepper (to season)|
1. Bring 5 cups broth to a boil, add barley, reduce heat to medium, cover and let simmer *this will be simmering for around 45 minutes .
2. Meanwhile in another saucepan heat oil, add leeks, soften, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook for about 1 min.
4. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper, cook until mushrooms soften, about 5 minutes.
5. Add vinegar or wine. Simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes, then remove from heat.
6. Keep an eye on the barley, it will absorb the water and bulk up. If it starts to become dry, add more broth ¼ cup at a time continue to watch and add water until barley is fully cooked (45 min).
are a great source of antioxidants and a rich source of fibre!