|30 min||1 h||8|
|908 gm||Beef, ground (High quality beef - grass fed, organic)|
|2 slice||Whole wheat bread (torn into small pieces)|
|1 1/2 cup||Whole milk, lactose free, 3.3% M.F.|
|6 leaf||Basil, fresh (thinly sliced)|
|2 medium||Yellow onion (diced)|
|3 medium egg||Egg (organic, free range)|
|1 tsp||Sea salt|
|1 tsp||Black pepper|
|1/2 tsp||Hot pepper (chili) flakes (optional)|
|4 can (15oz)||Whole tomato, canned (Italian tomatoes. No other seasoning or added sugar)|
|1 1/2 cup||Water, filtered|
|1 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
1. Heat the oven to the highest setting. Place 2lbs ground beef in a large mixing bowl. Add the salt, pepper and sliced basil.
2. In a blender add 1 of the 2 onions, 2 garlic cloves and 3 eggs. Blend until liquid. Pour over meat in mixing bowl.
3. In a small bowl add the torn bread and milk. Let soak until saturated then add to the mixing bowl.
4. Pull out two non-stick packing trays and set aside. Wash your hands and begin to mix up all the ingredients in the bowl. Take your time to make sure everything is mixed well.
5. Begin to roll into balls larger than a golf ball but smaller than a tennis ball. Place onto baking trays leaving space between each. Place trays into hot oven. Flip once after 6 minutes. Cook for 10-15 minutes until a crust begins to form, but keep an eye they don't burn.
6. In the mean time start the tomato sauce. In a heavy bottomed pot set to medium heat, add the diced onion and olive oil. Stirring frequently, cook until onions are soft and translucent.
7. In the last few minutes, add 1 clove of garlic, pressed. Stir for a couple minutes careful not to brown the garlic.
8. Add the tin tomatoes. Then add water to the tins and swish them around to get the leftover sauce and add this to the pot. Add a pinch of salt.
9. Raise the temperature to high, stirring frequently. Once the sauce has been boiling for 5 minutes, reduce to medium.
10. With a wooden spoon, break up the large pieces of tomatoes.
11. Add the meatballs to the sauce and continue to cook on medium with the lid on for an additional 45 minutes.
12. You know it's done when the large tomato pieces have broken down.
13. Serve with spaghetti or on it's own.
This is a family recipe. Treat with love and respect :)