|15 min||55 min||4|
|1/2 cup||Green lentils, raw|
|1 tbsp||Flaxseed meal (ground) (for flax egg)|
|3 tbsp||Water (for flax egg)|
|2 tsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|3 clove(s)||Garlic (minced)|
|3/4 cup sliced||Yellow onion|
|1/2 cup chopped||Red bell pepper|
|1/2 cup chopped||Carrots|
|1/2 cup diced||Celery|
|1 cup whole||White mushrooms (diced)|
|1/4 cup||Sun-dried tomatoes (diced)|
|1 tsp||Oregano, dried|
|1/2 tsp||Cayenne pepper|
|1/2 cup||Chickpea flour|
|1/2 cup||Walnuts (chopped)|
|3/4 cup shredded||Dairy-free cheddar cheese shreds, Daiya|
|1/4 cup||Parsley, fresh (optional)|
|2 tbsp hulled||Sunflower seeds (optional)|
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Line a loaf pan with foil or a thin layer of oil to prevent sticking.
3. In a medium pot, combine lentils and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover pot and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until lentils are cooked. Drain any remaining water and set aside.
4. In a small bowl, mix the flaxseed meal with 9 tablespoons of water and stir to remove lumps. Set aside.
5. In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil. Stir in garlic, onion, red pepper, carrot, celery, mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes. Sauté for about 2 minutes. Stir in cumin, oregano, and cayenne and cook another 3-5 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Turn off heat.
6. Stir in lentils, chickpea flour, flaxseeds, walnuts, and vegan cheddar shreds. Stir in flaxseed eggs.
7. Transfer to a loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool for a few minutes in the pan. Then turn out onto a baking rack to continue cooling.