|15 min||3 h||4|
|1 medium/large bird||Whole Chicken|
|1/2 medium||White onion (minced)|
|1 1/2 cup||Apple cider vinegar|
|1/2 cup||Tomato sauce, canned (or crushed tomatoes)|
|2 tbsp||Tomato paste, canned|
|2 tsp||Black pepper|
|1 tsp||Tabasco sauce (or hot sauce)|
1. Rinse the chicken and pat it dry.
2. Place the chicken in the slow cooker and sprinkle with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 5 hours.
3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt the ghee over medium heat. Add the minced onion and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients: garlic, apple cider vinegar, tomato sauce, tomato paste, honey and remaining salt and black pepper, and Tabasco. Stir well and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer over low heat.
5. Simmer the sauce until the volume has reduced by a quarter to a third. It should be slightly thickened but not pasty.
6. When the chicken has cooled a bit shred all the meat and unite it with the tangy, savoury sauce. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days, or store in your freezer and heat again with the crock pot.