|10 min||4 h||6|
|1 large||Yellow onion (diced)|
|2 medium stalk(s)||Celery (diced)|
|8 pepper(s)||Red chili pepper (also chile or chilli) (diced, or canned)|
|3 clove(s)||Garlic (minced)|
|1 1/2 tsp||Kosher salt|
|1/2 tsp||Coriander, ground|
|1/2 tsp||Oregano, dried|
|1 leaf||Bay leaf|
|681 gm||Chicken breast, boneless, skinless|
|4 cup||Chicken broth (stock), low sodium|
|1 can (15oz)||Cannellini beans, canned (drained, rinsed)|
|1 cup||Frozen yellow corn kernels|
|3 tsp||Hot sauce (for topping)|
|1/2 cup shredded||Monterey jack cheese, low fat (for topping, divided - optional)|
|6 tbsp||Sour cream, light (for topping - or greek yogurt - plain coconut yogurt for dairy free)|
1. Combine the chicken, onions, celery, green chili peppers, garlic, cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, coriander, oregano, and bay leaf in a 6-quart (or larger) slow cooker. Stir to make sure the spices coat everything, and nestle the chicken into the vegetables. Pour the chicken stock over top, covering the chicken and vegetables by an inch or so.
2. Place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. (It's fine to cook for 8 hours on low, if needed, but the chicken tends to fall apart a bit more when you shred after cooking, rather than staying in pieces.)
3. About 30 minutes before the end of cooking, remove the lid of the slow cooker and add the beans and corn. Taste and add another 1/2 teaspoon of salt or other seasonings as desired. Add the lid back on and cook for the remaining time.
4. Lift the chicken from the slow cooker and shred it into large, bite-sized pieces with two forks. Stir the chicken back into the soup and remove the bay leaf.
5. Serve with shredded cheese, wedges of lime, chopped cilantro, and sour cream.
6. The soup will keep for 5 days refrigerated or 3 months frozen
To make this recipe dairy free - omit cheese and yogurt - sprinkle on nutritional yeast and use plain coconut yogurt
is a great source of lean protein which aids in muscle growth and repair!
are a great source of fiber which helps to promote healthy digestion!