|5 min||35 min||6|
|2 tsp||Extra virgin olive oil (or use ghee)|
|1 small||White onion (diced small)|
|1 medium pepper(s)||Red bell pepper (diced small)|
|1 clove(s)||Garlic (minced)|
|2 tsp||Chili powder|
|1 cup||Red lentils, raw (rinsed)|
|1 can (15oz)||Black beans, canned|
|1 can(s) (14oz)||Diced tomatoes, canned|
|3 1/2 cup||Vegetable stock/broth|
|1 cup||Frozen yellow corn kernels|
|1 tsp||Kosher salt|
|1 dash||Black pepper|
|1 avocado(s)||Avocado (diced)|
|1/4 cup||Green onion (diced small)|
|4 tbsp||Sour cream, 14% M.F. (optional - can use yogurt or vegan alternative)|
1. Heat ghee in a 2-quart stock pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 3 minutes.
2. Add pepper and garlic and cook for 2 minutes more, being sure not to burn the garlic. Add chili powder and cumin and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
3. Add red lentils, tomatoes, beans and stock, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Once everything comes up to a low boil, reduce to a simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn and cook 10 minutes more.
5. Serve in bowls topped with avocado, scallions and sour cream (optional)
Red lentils break down to a creamy consistency which helps to thicken this chili.
Lentils and Beans
are a great source of protein for vegetarians and vegans - they also provide fiber which helps to promote healthy digestion!