Roast Fennel Bulb with Pecorino Romano & Pistachio
Roasted fennel bulb utilizes the lower part of the fennel (or anise) plant. It has the same but much milder flavor of fennel seeds.
Butter, grass fed, unsalted
(1 stick or use ghee - dairy free)
(Pecorino Romano - or use nutritional yeast - dairy free)
Himalayan sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425oF(200oC).
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Whisk continually until butter is a light brown color and exudes a nutty scent. Make sure not to let the butter burn.
- Remove from heat and pour into a separate container.
- When butter is mostly cooled, add mint and lemon. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Cut tops of fennel so you are left with just the bulb and slice down the middle.
- Place bulbs in a baking dish and coat with browned butter.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, cheese, and pistachios evenly over the top of the bulbs.
- Bake for 20–30 minutes, spooning butter back onto the bulbs 15 minutes into baking.
Pro tip: Butter is browned when brown particles begin to form at the bottom of the pan and butter reduces in size.
Fennel (or anise) is a good source of fiber, vitamin C and folate!
Calories from fat
Calories from saturated fat