|10 min||50 min||1 h||10|
|10 shell(s)||Manicotti shell, dry (organic)|
|4 spray (about 1/3 second)||Olive oil cooking spray|
|454 gm||Italian sausage, turkey (organic)|
|1 1/2 cup sliced||Yellow onion|
|1 cup chopped||Green bell pepper|
|2 tbsp||Butter, grass-fed, salted|
|2 tbsp||All-purpose white flour (organic)|
|2 cup||Milk, fat-free (skimmed) (or use almond milk - dairy free)|
|1/8 tsp||Black pepper|
|2 cup||Tomato-Basil pasta sauce|
|1 1/2 cup, shredded||Mozzarella cheese, partially skimmed (or use vegan shredded cheese)|
|1/4 cup||Parmesan cheese, grated (or use nutritional yeast)|
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add onion and bell pepper to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
3. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Return pan to heat; bring to a boil. Cook 6 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat; stir in black pepper. Add 1/2 cup milk mixture to sausage mixture; stir well.
4. Preheat oven to 350°.
5. Spoon about 1/3 cup sausage mixture into each manicotti; arrange manicotti in a single layer in a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle mozzarella over manicotti; spread remaining milk mixture evenly over mozzarella. Top milk mixture with pasta sauce, spreading to cover. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until bubbly.
6. Easy to freeze or serve immediately!