|10 min||50 min||10|
|10 shell(s)||Manicotti shell, dry (organic)|
|4 spray (about 1/3 second)||Olive oil cooking spray|
|454 gm||Italian sausage, turkey (organic)|
|1 1/2 cup sliced||Yellow onion|
|1 cup chopped||Green bell pepper|
|2 tbsp||Butter, grass-fed, salted|
|2 tbsp||All-purpose white flour (organic)|
|2 cup||Milk, fat-free (skimmed) (or use almond milk - dairy free)|
|1 dash||Black pepper|
|2 cup||Tomato-Basil pasta sauce|
|1 1/2 cup, shredded||Mozzarella cheese, partially skimmed (or use vegan shredded cheese)|
|1/4 cup||Parmesan cheese, grated (or use nutritional yeast)|
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Remove sausage from their casing and add sausage to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add onion and bell pepper to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F (180oC).
4. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Return pan to heat; bring to a boil. Cook 6 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat; stir in black pepper. Add 1/2 cup milk mixture to sausage mixture; stir well.
5. Spoon about 1/3 cup sausage mixture into each manicotti; arrange manicotti in a single layer in a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle mozzarella over manicotti; spread remaining milk mixture evenly over mozzarella. Top milk mixture with pasta sauce, spreading to cover. Sprinkle with parmesan and bake for 35 minutes or until bubbly.
6. Easy to freeze or serve immediately!