|10 min||1 h 30 min||4|
|1 small bird||Whole Chicken|
|1 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 sprig||Thyme, fresh|
|2 tbsp||Sage, fresh (chopped)|
|1 tsp||Cayenne pepper (as needed)|
|1 dash||Black pepper (to taste)|
1. Wash the chicken and take out the gizzard, then place it in a pan (I like to use glass pans).
2. Cut a couple lemons in half, turn them upside down in your palm, and squeeze out all the juice all over the chicken. The secret is to take the leftover lemon halves and stuff them inside the chicken for baking. Then take a third lemon and slice up a few sections and put them on top of the chicken.
3. I usually add a little olive oil to the bird, then sprinkle on thyme, sage, cayenne, and black pepper.
4. Add about 1 cup of water to the pan to keep the moisture level high during baking.
5. Throw it in the oven at 400ºF for 1.5 hours (or until golden brown). Then, check the temperature. Sometimes I end up going 2 hours depending on how big the bird is. Internal temperature of chicken should be at 165F.
6. Carefully carve up the bird and enjoy the flavorful skin as a treat. Just throw away the lemon slices and halves that were inside the body cavity. The meat, and especially the breasts, will have an amazing lemon flavor locked into them that will taste incredible!
side of roasted or steamed vegetables:
cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, eggplant or zucchini
Mixed Green Salad