|10 min||0 min||10 min||3|
|1/2 cup||Baby spinach (for topping)|
|2 tbsp||Basil pesto|
|1 can (15oz)||Chickpeas, canned, drained (rinsed, drained)|
|1/2 whole lemon(s)||Lemon juice|
|1/8 tsp||Salt and pepper (to taste)|
|6 slice||Whole wheat bread|
1. Place the chickpeas on a paper towel or clean kitchen towel and remove the outer skins. Roll them around a bit and they will come off easily. This step is optional.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas and avocado. Smash with a fork until well combined. It is all right if some of the chickpeas are chunky, this will give the mixture texture.
3. Stir in pesto and fresh lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Spread chickpea salad on bread slices and top with spinach leaves, if using. Cut sandwich in half and serve!
5. Serve with cut up veggies, crackers, or pita chips. Enjoy!