Spiced Baked Apple Recipe
These vegan baked spiced apples are especially wonderful in fall and winter, when apples are at their peak and we crave a warm, comforting dessert.
(large firm, tart; such Crispin; Winesap; Granny Smith, or Jonagold)
Golden raisin, seedless
(organic!!! Otherwise you are eating a load of pesticides.)
(finely chopped & toasted. You can use pecans or almonds instead.)
(or use apple cider or pear juice to make it super sweet.)
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Core the apples whole or, alternatively, cut them in half and remove the core with a small knife, creating a small "basin" in the apple halves.
- Sprinkle the cut side of the apples with lemon juice.
- Place the apples in a glass, ceramic or another non-reactive baking dish.
- Mix the maple syrup with the raisins, nuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Fill the apples (or apple halves) with the raisin-nut mixture.
- Pour the water into the bottom of the baking dish and cover the apples with a lid (or parchment paper) and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the cover, and baste the apples with the pan juices. Continue to bake the apples, uncovered, for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until they are tender but not mushy.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Drizzle the apples with the pan juices.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
Calories from fat
Calories from saturated fat