|15 min||1 h||1 h 15 min||4|
|4 medium||Zucchini (cut in half lengthwise)|
|1/2 cup||Salsa, ready-to-serve|
|454 gm||Ground turkey, lean|
|1 tsp||Garlic powder|
|1 tsp||Kosher salt|
|1 tsp||Chili powder|
|1/2 tsp||Oregano, dried|
|1/2 small||Yellow onion (minced)|
|1/4 small pepper(s)||Red bell pepper (minced)|
|1/4 can(s) (16 oz)||Tomato sauce, canned|
|1/2 cup shredded||Mexican cheese blend (optional)|
|1/4 cup||Green onion, scallion, ramp (chopped, for topping)|
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F.
3. Place 1/4 cup of salsa in the bottom of a large baking dish.
4. Using a small spoon or melon baller, hollow out the center of the zucchini halves, leaving 1/4-inch thick shell on each half. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside 3/4 of a cup to add to the taco filling, (squeeze excess water with a paper towel) discarding the rest or save to use in another recipe. Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water.
5. Brown turkey in a large skillet, breaking up while it cooks. When no longer pink add the spices and mix well. Add the onion, bell pepper, reserved zucchini, tomato sauce and water. Stir and cover, simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
6. Using a spoon, fill the hollowed zucchini boats dividing the taco meat equally, about 1/3 cup in each, pressing firmly. Top each with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese.
7. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through. Top with scallions and serve with salsa on the side.
omit the cheese or use a non-dairy shredded cheese
is loaded with zinc and potassium and is high in protein. Turkey may help to support healthy levels of serotonin in the body which is a factor in good mood
improves digestion, may lower blood sugar levels and contains anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant phytonutrients