|10 min||20 min||4|
|3 stalk(s)||Green onion, scallion, ramp (chopped)|
|1 medium||Yellow onion (diced)|
|2 medium pepper(s)||Red bell pepper (diced)|
|2 medium||Zucchini (diced)|
|3 medium ear||Sweet yellow corn (kernels shaved off)|
|1 can(s) (15 oz)||Red kidney beans, canned, drained (rinsed)|
|1 can (15oz)||Black beans, canned (drained, rinsed)|
|1 1/2 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil (for cooking)|
|1 can(s) (14oz)||Diced tomatoes, canned (drained, or tomatoes with green chilis)|
|4 cup||Vegetable stock/broth|
|2 tsp||Cilantro (coriander)|
|1 tsp||Hot sauce (as needed)|
|1/4 cup||Sour cream, fat free (for serving)|
1. Prepare Green onions, Onions, Red peppers, Chayote squash or Zucchini, Corn as directed.
2. Store green and white parts of onions separately. Red peppers and squash can be combined. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead).
3. Beans - Rinse and drain.
4. Heat a >5 quart (4.73 liters) Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
5. Add cooking oil and then white parts of green onions to heated oil with some salt. Saute for ~1 minute and then add the diced onions with a pinch of salt.
6. Add in red peppers and zucchini/squash with another dash of salt.
7. Sauté for 3 more minutes and then cover with beans, tomatoes, broth, cumin, coriander, paprika, and salt.
8. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered until vegetables are tender, ~10 to 15 minutes.
9. Add in corn and then season to taste with salt, pepper, any of the spices, and/or hot sauce.
10. Top with sour cream and chopped green onions.
are an important source of plant-based protein and are high in fibre, making them great for digestion!