|20 min||1 h||9|
|3 cup whole/halves||Macadamia nuts, unsalted (soaked, or 1 16-ounce block extra firm tofu drained and pressed dry for 10 minutes, for vegan ricotta)|
|2 tbsp||Nutritional yeast (for vegan ricotta)|
|1/2 cup||Basil, fresh (finely chopped, for vegan ricotta)|
|2 tsp||Oregano, dried (for vegan ricotta)|
|1 whole lemon(s)||Lemon juice (for vegan ricotta)|
|1 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil (optional,for vegan ricotta)|
|1 tsp||Sea salt (for vegan ricotta)|
|1/2 tsp||Black pepper (for vegan ricotta)|
|1/2 cup||Water (for vegan ricotta)|
|1/4 cup (shredded)||Parmesan cheese, vegan (optional, for vegan ricotta)|
|794 gm||Marinara sauce, low sodium (about 1 jar)|
|3 large||Zucchini (thinly sliced with a mandolin, or sub eggplant)|
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (176°C).
2. Add macadamia nuts to a food processor or blender and mix to combine, scraping down sides as needed. You're looking for a fine meal.
3. Add remaining ingredients: Nutritional yeast, fresh basil, oregano, lemon juice, olive oil (optional), salt, pepper, water and vegan parmesan cheese (optional). You are looking for a well-puréed mixture/paste.
4. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt and pepper for flavor, nutritional yeast for cheesiness, and lemon juice for brightness.
5. Pour about 1 cup marinara sauce into a 9x13-inch (or similar size) baking dish and line with thinly sliced zucchini.
6. Scoop small spoonfuls amounts of ricotta mixture over the zucchini and gently spread into a thin layer. Spread on a layer of marinara sauce and then top with more zucchini slices. Continue until all filling and zucchini are used up. The top two layers should be zucchini and then sauce. Sprinkle on vegan parmesan cheese (optional), and then cover with foil.
7. Bake covered for 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake for 15 minutes more. The zucchini should be very easily pierced when cut with a knife. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
8. Serve immediately with additional vegan parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Leftovers keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator, or in the freezer up to 1 month.
is a great source of potassium which helps to maintain water balance in the body!