|30 min||1 h||4|
|1 crust (20cm)||Pie crust, unbaked|
|300 gm||Cauliflower (chopped into small florets)|
|2 tsp||Peanut oil (or canola oil; or olive oil)|
|1 medium||Yellow onion (finely sliced)|
|1 medium pepper(s)||Red bell pepper (sliced; or any vegetable you like)|
|1 medium pepper(s)||Green bell pepper (sliced; or any vegetable you like)|
|1 cup||Chickpea flour (for quiche mixture)|
|2 ml||Vegetable stock/broth, low sodium (for quiche mixture)|
|1/2 tsp||Sage, ground (for quiche mixture)|
|1/2 tsp||Turmeric, ground (for quiche mixture)|
|3 tbsp||Nutritional yeast (for quiche mixture)|
|1/4 tsp||Black salt (Kala Namak) (or regular salt; for quiche mixture)|
|5 slice||Tomato (for garnishing)|
|1 tbsp||Butter, vegan (for brushing)|
To prepare the quiche filling.
1. In a bowl add the chickpea flour and one cup of stock. Whisk this together well and set aside.
2. In a wide bottomed saucepan, add the rest of the stock, nutritional yeast, turmeric, sage and black salt (or the sea salt). Bring to the boil.
3. When the water comes to the boil, slowly pour in the chickpea mixture and stir continuously.
4. Once all the mixture has been combined, lower the heat and continue to stir continuously for 2-3 minutes until the mixture becomes quite thick and glossy.
5. Add in the cauliflower and the vegetables and combine everything well. This will be a very thick mixture.
6. Pour into the prepared pie crust, leveling with a spatula, and top with the sliced tomatoes.
7. Put into the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush the top with some melted vegan margarine and place back into the oven for a further 5 minutes.
8. Remove and allow to cool completely before serving. Can be served warm or cold. If you are serving warm, then allow to cool and reheat in the oven for 5 minutes.
To roast cauliflower: Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas Mark 6. Cut cauliflower into florets and place in a bowl with 1 tsp oil and the 1/4 tsp salt and coat well. Place on a foiled baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until softened and slightly charred. Store in fridge until ready to use.