|10 min||30 min||6|
|2 tsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 cup chopped||Carrots|
|1 cup||White onion (diced)|
|1 cup diced||Celery|
|1 1/2 cup||Shiitake mushrooms, raw (cleaned, stems removed and sliced)|
|1 can (15oz)||Cannellini beans, canned (rinsed and drained)|
|1 1/2 l||Vegetable stock/broth|
|1/2 cup||Barley, dry|
|1/4 tsp, ground||Thyme, dried|
|1/2 tsp||Garlic powder|
|1 tsp, leaves||Basil, dried|
|2 leaf||Bay leaf|
|1 pinch||Salt (to taste)|
|1 dash||Black pepper (to taste)|
1. Heat olive oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the carrot, onion and celery and sauté for 3 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes more.
4. Add beans, stock, barley, herbs and bay leaves.
5. Cook over medium-low heat for approximately 20- 25 minutes or until the barley is cooked.
6. Remove bay leaves and season with salt and pepper.
7. Top with parmesan cheese if desired. (omit for dairy free)
Have trouble digesting beans? Instead of using canned, try soaking dried beans for 24 hours, changing the water several times.
Drain, add new water and cook with a piece of kombu which makes the beans more digestible.
are a great source of antioxidants!
are an important source of protein for vegetarians!