|15 min||40 min||6|
|2 tsp||Avocado oil|
|2 tsp||Garlic (minced)|
|1 cup chopped||Yellow onion|
|3/4 cup chopped||Carrots|
|1 1/2 cup||Tomato-Basil pasta sauce|
|1 cup||Red kidney beans, canned, drained|
|1 cup||Chickpeas, canned, drained (rinsed)|
|1/2 cup||Vegetable stock/broth, low sodium (or water)|
|1 1/2 tsp, ground||Basil, dried|
|2 leaf||Bay leaf|
|4 potato||Potato (diced)|
|1/2 cup||Partly skimmed milk, 2% M.F.|
|1/3 cup||Sour cream, light|
|1/4 tsp||Black pepper|
|3/4 cup shredded||Cheddar cheese, reduced fat (18%)|
|3 tbsp||Parmesan cheese, grated|
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Prep baking dish.
2. In a saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onions and carrots; cook 4 minutes or until onion is softened.
3. Stir in tomato sauce, kidney beans, chickpeas, stock, basil and bay leaves; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Remove bay leaves. Transfer sauce to a food processor; pulse on and off just until chunky. Spread over bottom of baking dish.
5. In the meantime, place potatoes in a saucepan, add cold water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until tender.
6. Drain; mash with milk, sour cream and pepper. Spoon on top of sauce in baking dish. See notes for vegan version.
7. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes or until hot. Enjoy!
You can make this dish vegan by replacing milk with almond, cashew or hemp milk; sour cream with coconut cream mixed with a splash of vinegar and cheese with vegan shredded cheese.
High in fiber which may help to lower the amount of cholesterol in the blood and decrease the risk of heart disease. Beans are also help in blood sugar management and weight loss.