1. Combine whole wheat pastry flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
2. In another medium bowl, whisk together the egg, maple syrup, and vanilla. Next, add the ricotta and whisk to combine. Last, whisk in the almond milk until mixture is thoroughly combined.
3. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, folding together with a rubber spatula. Mix until just combined.
4. Preheat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat and spray liberally with cooking spray. Drop pancake batter by the ¼ cup onto the pan or griddle and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until bubbles start to form at the top and the underside is golden.
5. Repeat until all the batter is gone.
6. In the meantime, in a medium saucepan or pot, bring the blackberries, water, maple syrup, lemon juice, and vanilla to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to medium and simmer for 5-7 minutes, mashing the blackberries with a fork to help them break down. Cool slightly.
7. To serve, top pancakes with compote and extra maple syrup if desired. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and devour!